Skip to main content
Inland Revenue

Tax Policy

Technical changes

(Clauses 1 to 12, 14, and 16 to 23)

The new tax credit will require minor and technical changes to other parts of the Income Tax Act 2007 and the Tax Administration Act 1994.

To claim an income-sharing tax credit, couples will need to confirm their taxable incomes or submit a tax return for the year. An application will be required to claim the tax credit.

Definitions in the Income Tax Act 2007 are being updated to take into account the new tax credit. Provisions in these Acts that relate to tax credits are being updated to include the new income-sharing tax credit, where relevant.

The changes will apply from 1 April 2012.